Sunday, October 27, 2013

Upgrading to Mavericks on a white Macbook 2009 (download problems)



Yesterday I finally upgraded my white Macbook, 13 inch, late 2009 laptop to Mavericks.  It came stock with 2GB of RAM which I had upgraded myself to 4GB about a year ago.

Generally it went well.  Here's my experience:

  • I went to the App Store directly and clicked on the Mavericks banner at the top
  • From the Mavericks page I clicked on the little Download button that then switched to say Install almost right away.
  • I clicked Install and it switched to Downloading but nothing happened.
  • I tried several times, always with the same result
  • After some frustration, I gave up for the night
  • The next day I searched the web and discovered that for some people, the download get 'paused' for some reason.
  • Following their suggestion, I opened LaunchPad (from the Application folder) and saw that there was a Mavericks icon there that said 'paused'.
  • I clicked it and the download started
  • It took almost 2 hours to download the 5GB upgrade
  • The install itself took about another hour or so to complete (its estimate varied between 45 minutes initially all the way up to 1hour and 50 minutes halfway through)
  • Once it upgraded and rebooted, t started up and asked some questions.
  • My MacBook has a problem because the clickable mouse pad doesn't click anymore.  I've had it replaced under warranty once but it only lasted about 6 months.   I have it configured to recognize a double tap as a click.  But this only works once I log in.  When it first boots up, it goes back to the default of not enabling the double tap feature.  So I'm not able to click anywhere until AFTER I log in.
  • So when Mavericks first starts up, it asks a bunch of questions (AppleID, and other stuff) that I had trouble navigating through without my full mouse functionality.
  • Once it was done and I was logged in, it was initially much slower than before.  However, after it settled down and finished whatever background processes were running, it seemed much smoother.  Not sure yet if it's because of Mavericks, or just because I rebooted it

Check out my YouTube channel:  www.youtube.com/KedarWarriner

No comments:

Post a Comment